October 14, 2009

Big Tuesday


I arrived in Pisa, Italy for my first time ever. My older brother had been there years before and I remember him always talking about it and how much he enjoyed Italy.  When I arrived at the airport everyone was giving me funny looks, curious as to what my board bag was. A couple people even asked me what it was, some even in Italian. It wasn't long before Alessandro Dini came to pick me up. I knew right away it was him when I noticed his Gotcha T-shirt. We drove to Viareggio first and had my first taste of amazing Italian food. It was a mixed plate of fine ham, cheese, and bread. An Italian beer to top it off. He took me around town and showed me the spots he surfs on a regular basis. Beach breaks for some fun Loggin'.  With an awesome forecast of a nice northwest swell coming to the island of Sardinia, we drove to the ferry that night. 


We arrived in Sardinia after a nice overnight sleep on the ferry.  Our group consisted of European team rider Giovanni, Alessandro, a camera man nick named Yeahyah, and myself. Fortunately, Alessandro had really good local friends there. One in particular was named Marco and he surfed with us the entire time. We had our best session with him the next day on "Big Tuesday". The waves were offshore, big and blue. Not what I expected in the Mediterranean Sea! We surfed a couple spots but our second session was by far the best. Only three of us out, and some epic waves! What more could we ask for? 


Now, I am back in Viareggio and the waves are very small. Luckily, there is a new swell on the horizon for this weekend. Tomorrow Richard Dog Marsh and Glen Hall will join us and we will head back to Sardinia for more action. 


Check back for more updates!


Ciao

Cwach




ALL PHOTOS COURTESY OF 


ALESSANDRO DINI ( FIRST ITALIAN SURFER AND ITALIAN SURFING INSPIRATION )











2 comments:

yuta said...

awesome and jerous....:)

Fiorella said...

wow, Italian waves...awsome!